Ararat Shrine Temple History


About the Name "Ararat"

Shriners International requires all Shrine Temples to adopt names of Arabic origin. There is no official record of why "Ararat" was chosen, but it refers to Mount Ararat, traditionally known as the landing place of Noah's Ark.

Charter and Early Years

Ararat Shrine was chartered in 1888 by the Imperial Council of the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (now Shriners International). Ararat was the 38th Shrine Temple to be granted a charter and has called the Kansas City area home since its founding.

Ararat Shrine Temple at 11th and Central
The Ararat Shrine Temple at 11th and Central

Chartered: The Ararat Shrine Temple in Kansas City received its charter around 1888.

Building Construction: Headquarters built and dedicated on December 18, 1926 at 11th and Central streets.

Architectural Style: Designed by Owen, Sayler & Payson, the building is a prominent example of Neo-Classical Revival architecture.

Shriner Headquarters: Served as the central facility for the Ararat Shriners' activities.

Public Events: In 1924, the Shriners hosted a major Egyptian-themed event in Kansas City, with decorations at Union Station and throughout the city.

Post-Shriner Occupancy and Building History

1939: Shriners moved out of the building.

World War II: American Red Cross owned the building for a period during the war.

1947: Midland Broadcasting (later KMBC) purchased the building.

1950s: Operated as the Capri Theater by Durwood Theaters.

1970: Lyric Opera moved into the building.

1991: Lyric Opera purchased the building.

Mid-2000s: Lyric Opera sold the building to DST Realty; redeveloped into the Kirk Family YMCA.

The building at 11th and Central has served many purposes over the years, including as a Shriner headquarters, a Red Cross facility, a theater, an opera house, and now the Kirk Family YMCA.

Ararat Shrine Temple at Eastwood Trafficway (5100 Ararat Drive)
Ararat Shrine Temple at Eastwood Trafficway (5100 Ararat Drive)

Location: 5100 Ararat Drive, Kansas City, MO (I-435 & Eastwood Trafficway), on 11.6 acres.

Land Purchased: 1971.

Building Occupied: January 1975.

Bennett Auditorium: Completed in 1979, serves as a major event and gathering space.

Purpose: Headquarters for Ararat Shriners, hosting fraternal, social, and community events.

Sold: The property was sold in 2024; the current owner is Bellicose Church.

The Eastwood Trafficway facility served as the home of Ararat Shrine for nearly 50 years, continuing the tradition of service and fellowship. In 2024, the property was sold, and the Shriners began a new chapter.

Current Temporary Home: 499 SW 7 Highway, Blue Springs, MO
Current Temporary Home: 499 SW 7 Highway

Location: 499 SW 7 Highway, Blue Springs, MO.

Moved In: March 2024.

Ownership: The building is owned by the American Legion, an organization with a proud history of serving veterans and the community. Visit American Legion Post 499

Status: This is a temporary home for Ararat Shrine while a new permanent location is sought.

We are grateful to the American Legion for their hospitality and support during this transition. The search for a new permanent home for Ararat Shrine is ongoing.

Notable Members

Harry S. Truman – Former President of the United States, member for over 50 years, and served on the Divan (leadership team).

Ethelbert F. Allen – First Potentate and first Ararat Shriner to become Imperial Potentate (1898-99).

James E. Chandler – Past Potentate, Imperial Potentate (1924-25).

Frank S. Land – Founder of the Order of DeMolay, Imperial Potentate (1954-55).

W.W. (Woody) Bennett – Imperial Potentate (1975-76), later Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Shriners Hospitals for Children.

George M. Saunders – Recorder (1935-1948), Imperial Recorder (1948-1980).

Temple Locations Timeline

1888: First meetings held in the offices of Mr. Ethelbert F. Allen.

Elks Hall at Seventh and Main, Kansas City.

1890: Moved to the Armory at 15th and Grand.

Strope's Hall at 15th and Central (renamed "Shrine Hall"), used for almost 11 years.

1901: Moved to a new building (later Kansas City Power and Light Company home).

Hosted Imperial Shrine Council Session at Standard Theatre (now Folly Theatre).

1911: Moved to own building at 12th and Prospect.

1925: New building at 11th and Central (now Kirk Family YMCA), occupied until 1939.

Leased fourth floor of Hotel Continental until 1945.

1945: Purchased old American Hereford Building at 11th and Central.

1971: Purchased 11.6 acres at I-435 and Eastwood Trafficway; construction began.

1975: Occupied Eastwood Trafficway facility.

1979: Bennett Auditorium addition completed.

2024: Sold Eastwood Trafficway property (current owner: Bellicose Church); moved to 499 SW 7 Highway (temporary home).

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙